Saturday, February 14, 2009

Domaine Ostertag PInot Noir Rouge "E"

This is the first Pinot Noir I have had from the Alsace, and I must say I was suprised.

The man and I went to The Office last night in St.Catharines which if you haven't been before you must.  I believe Sunday to Thursday it is BYOW with no corkage fee and on Friday and Saturdays it is $12.00  Woot Woot!
The wine was great and totally unexpected.  I recently purchased this from LCBO Vintages Online, $22.00/bttle and I ordered 3.  Let me tell you I will be be buying some more if there is any to be had.  Apparently this Domaine only produces 700bttles a year, how we got some I dont know!
It had this confectionary note to it (think strawberry nibs), something that would be common in say a Beaujolais, but not overdone with all the bubblegum and berries.  It was soft on the palate with beautiful raspberry and rhubard notes.  Just a hint of the barnyard earthyness.  I would say medium bodied with a juicy mouth feel, it just flowed in the mouth, very well balanced.
Food - we had some great food for dinner it was kind of like tapas style, but kinda not.  We shared a gnocchi with sundried tomatoes, bacon, cheese and herbs and dry rub drumsticks with a peanut infused wing sauce.  For mains I had a strudel stuffed with  asparagus, mozzarella, peppers and mashed potatoes (heaven for me) and Jayme had monkfish wrapped in prossucitto (ps i am a horrible writer and speller).
The food paired wonderfully with everything.
I cannot say enough about this wine...if you can grab a bottle or two!  It is only online at Vintages, I promise you will be pleasantly suprised!
Also I promise you wont be disappointed with The Office check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment